Shuttle Direct offer ground transportation services across Europe, transporting several millions of passengers. Their aim is to provide great value, quality services helping travellers find and book the perfect trip.
We were tasked with turning an account that wasn’t profitable, into a profitable one! Despite strong conversion rates, the highly competitive travel market meant that average cost per click (CPC) had been on the rise since mid-2016, which was impacting return on ad spend (ROAS). We we’re drafted in to help turn things around.
Aside from the account not being profitable and the poor ROAS, the number of routes Shuttle Direct covered had been reduced in order to save costs. We wanted to expand the account and ensure we generated sales across a wider range of routes. To do this, we needed to create a new account structure that allowed us to manage traffic across a wide range of specific routes, offering users relevant ads and landing pages.
We took this right back to the beginning, working with the client to get a full idea of the routes we needed to cover in the account. We then looked at what we had running in the account, stripped out poorly performing keywords, and filled the gaps with additional keywords and routes that were missing.
With this new keyword list, we made tightly structured campaign and ad groups, and decided to split match types out into separate ad group, in order to keep one campaign per the base of each route. This left us with a very clear and concise structure as the foundation of our new account, in which we had close control over negative keywords as well as a platform for providing highly relevant ads for each search term.
With a mix of keywords that included one or both of the base and destination from each route, we were also able to send users to the most helpful landing page and offer relevant ad extensions for their search.
Once the new account was launched, we had a platform for highly effective optimisations. Meaning we were able to easily expand on positive and negative keywords, adjust bids and push budget in the areas with the strongest return. We had great success implementing positive bid adjustments on mobile, that worked particularly well in conjunction with aggressive audience bid modifiers when users returned to search on desktop.
The hard work paid off! Following our efforts, the average CPC fell by 37% and ROAS grew by 100%. In addition to this, conversion rate increased by 81% month on month.